Fuse #8

Monday, October 16, 2006

The First Annual Children's Book Awards, Blog Edition

Hey, Kidlit Blogger types,

You know what's fun? Watching committees come up with lists of the best children's books of the year. You know what's even more fun? Creating lists of the best children's books of the year. As Kelly Herold put it, "couldn't we, the intelligent, savvy members of the kidlitosphere do better? Or, at least, differently?" She's so diplomatic.

Hence this neat experiment in the power of kidblog awarding. We are officially inaugurating our own book awards, honoring books published in English for children in 2006. Anne Boles Levy, of Book Buds, will launch a site this week and administer the awards process. To read all about the new Children's Book Awards, head on over to Big A little a. To suggest a name for the Book Awards, (I thought "The Winnies" would be good) leave a comment with Anne at Book Buds.
And what role do I play in all this? Well, Fuse #8 has been chosen to be the administrating blog for the Middle Grade Fiction category.

Here's the deal: Do you run a blog about children's books, are you a children's book author who blogs, or do you run a general book blog? Then volunteer to serve on the book nominating committee or on the judging committee. You can't, I should add, serve on both. Here are the duties of each committee:

Nominating: Nominating committees of five members will narrow the recommendations (open to everyone with web access) down to a shortlist of five books per category. In this case, five middle grade chapter books. A list of all recommendations (we're initially very democratic here) will be received by the nominating committee on November 21, 2006. Then for two months or so we beat each other over the heads with sticks until we come up with a shortlist of a mere five books. The shortlists will be announced January 1, 2007. Thus ends the job of the nominating committee. On we go to the Judges!

Judging: Judging committees of five members, different from those serving on the nominating committees, will decide which title per category will win the Children's Book Award, Blog edition. The winners will be announced January 15, 2007 or so. To serve on this committee, keep in mind you will have to read five books during a very busy time of the year and discuss them with the other members of the committee.

When leaving your comment, please choose a second choice category just in case we have too many volunteers for Middle Grade Fiction.

As soon as we have a name and committees, we can begin soliciting nominations.

Questions? Head on over to Big A little a for more information




22 Comments:

At 11:59 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Officially nominating myself for the "nominating committee" for MG Fiction. Second choice: Non Fiction (MG/YA)

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

It's just like that, folks! See how easy it is? So step right up and nominate yourself. And be sure to leave some contact information if you can't link your name to your own e-mail or website. We'll be accepting nominations for a week or so. Then we'll let all of you know our decision.

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Gail Gauthier said...

I think this is a great (or at the very least, fun) idea. However, you might want to suggest that authors who blog are ineligible to serve on a committee any year in which they publish a book. Just to eliminate awkwardness.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

We discussed that amongst ourselves already, and we figured that just so long as the author hasn't published in a particular category, they could still serve. For example, if you wanted to be on the poetry committee, that'd be cool. Not so much the YA one.

 
At 12:30 PM , Blogger Stephanie Ford said...

I would like to nominate myself for the middle grade fiction committee. I happy to serve on the Nominating Committee or the Judging Committee; whichever area you need more committee members.

My second choice is the Judging Committee for Poetry.

 
At 12:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to nominate myself for the MG Judging Committee, with the Young Adult judging committee as my (virtual tie of a) second choice. Thanks!

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger Gail Gauthier said...

Okay, I will nominate myself for the nominating committee for Fantasy/SciFi with my second choice being the judging committee for Fantasy/SciFi. This seems like a safe category for me.

 
At 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. Go bloggers, go!

 
At 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, since I won't be able to be on the committee next year, I'd love to be on the middle grade fiction committee this year.

Eric Berlin

 
At 1:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(To clairfy: I meant the judging committee, not the nominating committee.)

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Do you have a second choice, Eric? Just in case.

 
At 2:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! This is why I need to start blogging...

 
At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Adult fiction would be my second choice, I suppose. Thanks.

E

 
At 2:42 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Just butting in here to say, Pooja...it's a crime you don't have a blog. Monica finally joined the sphere. It's your turn now!

 
At 2:56 PM , Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Wow, this is awesome. I'd love to be on one of the YA committees. I'd happily serve on either committee for Fantasy/Sci-Fi or Graphic Novels, too.

 
At 3:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, you are so kind! If/when I do start blogging, my first post will be about why it took me so long to start a blog :).

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. (Did I mention how great an idea I think this is? It's so cool.)

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

This is great! I already left this note over at Jen Robinson's place, but I'd happily join any of the judging committees if needed.

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Just so you know I'm not ignoring you, I put my name in for picture book judging, but I'll help out in other places if needed. I love the middle grade novels, but I knows my picture books really much.

 
At 10:07 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

No offense taken. I'm slightly worried about fitting everyone into my category, and the picture books need their supporters.

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Mary Lee said...

I'll nominate myself for MG fiction. If your editorial board is full, I'll do graphic novels. In fact, I'll go over and nominate myself there, too!

(A Year of Reading)

 
At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll nominate myself for MG fiction--either committee would be fine. If you are full, I could also do picture books.
Franki
(A Year of Reading)

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Greg R. Fishbone said...

This is such a great idea. If you need any help with the YA, Middle Grade, or Sci-Fi/Fantasy committees, members of the Class of 2k7 are available to help.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home